By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Cashew Chicken with Coconut Rice
- 6 boneless chicken thighs or two boneless breasts, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 scallions - into 1 inch pieces
- ½ -1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 cup cashews, roasted and unsalted
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 cup mixed chopped herbs, basil, mint and cilantro
- 1 lime cut into wedges for garnish
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Olive oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted + 2 tablespoons for garnish
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
Rinse rice in a bowl 4-5 times, drain and place in a pot with a lid. Add water, coconut milk, coconut and salt; stir together well. Bring mixture to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 20 minutes. Let it sit on the stove with the heat turned off and covered until ready to serve.
In a large heavy skillet or wok, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add garlic, ginger, and chili flakes. Cook for one minute and then add the chicken. Sear chicken well until it starts to brown, about 4-6 minutes. Add the cashews and cook a few more minutes. Reduce heat if ingredients seem to be browning too quickly. Add the rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and scallions. Simmer until the sauce has thickened a bit and the chicken is cooked through, approximately 5 more minutes. Stir in herbs and transfer to serving dish. Garnish with a few more sprigs of herbs, some lime wedges, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Fluff coconut rice with a fork and transfer to a serving bowl, top with the remaining toasted coconut. Serve alongside cashew chicken.