By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Stir Fry Sesame Chicken and Mushrooms
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs - cut into 1” strips
- 6-8 ounces shiitake mushrooms - halved
- 2-3 cups Napa cabbage - thinly sliced
- 5 scallions - cut into 1” pieces
- 6 garlic cloves - rough chop
- 1 small chili - optional - seeded and thinly sliced or 1 T chili sauce or 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 T ginger - grated on microplane
- 2-3 cups basil - rough chop or torn
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 T soy sauce
- 3/4 cup sake’ wine
- 2 T brown sugar, honey or maple
- 2 T neutral oil
- 3 T toasted sesame oil
- 1 T toasted sesame seeds - garnish
- 4 cups steamed rice for serving
Prepare chicken and pat dry on a plate - set aside. Prepare your “mise en place” (all ingredients prepped) and have in bowls ready to go. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sake, maple, (or other sweetener) , sesame oil and cornstarch - set aside.
In a large skillet or wok, heat oil over medium heat. When hot, add chicken and cook for 7-10 minutes, in two batches, then place on sheet pan. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, add oil as needed. When done, place on sheet pan. Place chicken back in pan - add the scallions, garlic, ginger, chili - cook another 3-5 minutes - stirring. Add the soy mixture, cabbage and mushrooms and cook until sauce is thickened. Add basil, toss and place on a serving platter. Garish with sesame seeds, more fresh basil leaves and serve with steamed rice.