By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Steamed Mussels with Chorizo in a White Wine Sauce
- 2.5 pounds mussels - cleaned and beards removed if needed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Spanish style Chorizo
- 1 large shallot - thinly sliced
- 1 cup fennel - thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves - minced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1-2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- 1/3-1/2 cup white wine
- 4-6 T butter - cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup parsley or dill - chopped for garnish
- Olive oil
- Fresh crusty baguette sliced at a sharp angle, brush with olive oil and grill or toast. Serve with mussels.
Prepare all ingredients. In a large high sided skillet, heat over medium high with a bit of olive oil - add chorizo and cook for 5 minutes. Add the shallot, fennel and garlic, cook for 3-5 more minutes. Add cherry tomatoes, chili flakes, wine, lemon juice and mussels, cover with a tight fitting lid and cook for 5-7 minutes until all mussels are opened (remove un-opened ones and discard). Using a large slotted spoon, place the mussels in a serving bowl (leaving sauce in pan) and cover. Add the butter to the sauce, salt and freshly ground pepper, turn up heat a bit - cook until desired thickness - taste and adjust if needed, with more lemon. Add sauce to mussels - garnish with herbs and serve with toasted bread.