By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Paella is a versatile dish. You don’t even need a paella pan to make it. A large heavy skillet will work just fine. You can use this as a base and then substitute other ingredients you prefer. Have fun with it. This recipe is made for a 14 inch skillet or paella pan.
- 3/4 pound large shrimp - shelled and deveined - tails left on
- 1 pound clams
- 1/2 pound white fish - halibut, cod or other - cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 leek - halved, cleaned and sliced thinly
- 1 large shallot - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil - drained and sliced
- 1/2 cup green olives - halved (Castelvetrano)
- 1 cup artichoke hearts in water brine - drained and halved or quartered
- 1 cup green or ramano beans - cleaned and cut in half
- 2 cups short grain paella rice
- 5 cups clam or seafood stock warmed or other desired stock (veggie or chicken)
- 2 tsp paprika - smoked or sweet
- 1 pinch saffron - dissolved in 1/4 cup stock
- 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
- Garnish - lemon wedges and chopped parsley
Prepare all ingredients and have them in dishes ready to go.
In the desired pan, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add the leek and salt - saute’ for 5 minutes. Add the shallot, garlic and 1 tsp paprika - cook for 3 more minutes. Add in the olives, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes, beans and salt - cook for 3-5 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed. Now add the rice and 1 more tsp of paprika - stir until rice is well incorporated. Add the warm stock and saffron, stir gently until evenly distributed. You don’t want to stir the rice at this point, you want to create a crust on the bottom of the pan called Socarrat, some say the most delicious part of paella (we agree). Cover your pan with a lid or foil and cook for 10-12 minutes. Add your seafood evenly distributing throughout the pan. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes or so until the liquid is absorbed. Turn up the heat to medium high and cook for 3-5 minutes or so to create the crusty bottom. Remove from the heat and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Remove any clams that didn’t open. Serve paella from the pan, garnish with lemon wedges and fresh parsley.