By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Roasted Vegetable Tart
Makes 4-6 servings as a main dish or 8-10 servings as an appetizer.
INGREDIENTS - CRUST
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour (optional or use 1/4 cup ap flour)
- 1/4 cup finely ground corn meal
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup ice water
DIRECTIONS - CRUST
Combine the flours, cornmeal, parmesan, salt, cayenne, and thyme in ae food processor. Pulse a few times. Add the small pieces of cold butter and vinegar and pulse until the butter is about the size of peas. With the food processor running add the ice water and continue until the dough comes together into a ball. Turn dough on the counter, wrap in plastic wrap and press into a 6-8 inch round, about 1 inch thick. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or more. This can be made well in advance or just a day ahead.
INGREDIENTS - ROASTED VEGETABLES
- 2 plum tomatoes or other heirloom variety of your choice, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 4-5 thyme or oregano sprigs
- 1 small fennel bulb, core removed and thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini, cut into rounds
- 1 red onion, cut into slices
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 mixed chopped herbs - basil, oregano, thyme or mint
- 2 eggs
- salt and freshly ground pepper
DIRECTIONS - ROASTED VEGETABLES
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and toss the tomatoes, garlic and thyme with olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Arrange evenly and bake for 30-40 minutes. Set aside until ready to assemble tart.
Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. Place zucchini, fennel and onions on parchment lined sheet pans and toss with olive oil, salt and freshly ground pepper. Arrange in a single layer. Roast for about 15 minutes until slightly browned. Set aside to cool. Make filling by combining all ingredients.
Remove dough from refrigerator and let it sit 5 minutes. Line a sheet pan with parchment and have ready. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a roundish shape, making sure to lift dough and flour under and on top as you roll. Roll out to about 10 x 12 inches at roughly 1/4 inch thick.
Spread the cheese filling in the center and around, leaving a 2 inch border. Layer the cool vegetables on the filling, layering as you like. Fold the dough up and over the tart forming a 2 inch border. Brush the dough with egg wash or cream and sprinkle the crust and top of tart with parmesan. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown.
Serve warm with fresh herbs.