By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Poke Bowl with Crispy Shallots
- 1.5 pounds Sushi grade tuna or salmon - cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2-3 small persian cucumbers - thinly sliced
- 1 avocado - thinly sliced or quartered
- 2 cups pea shoots or sunflower sprouts
- 1 small watermelon radish - thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 large shallot - thinly sliced
- 1 scallion - minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 cups short grain sushi rice
- olive oil or avocado oil for frying shallots
- 3 tablespoons yuzu ponzu sauce or light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 teaspoons garlic chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Quick pickled cucumbers
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- sliced cucumbers
Make sushi rice - rinse well in stainer, place rice in a medium size pot with lid. Add 1 1/2 cups water to rice. Let rice sit for 15 minutes or up to an hour. Bring to simmer over medium heat - stirring a few times. When water is simmering cover pot and turn to low heat. Cook for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes with lid on. When ready to use fluff with fork. Serve within an hour of making.
Next make the pickled cucumbers. Place vinegar, sugar, salt in a bowl and whisk, add cucumbers - toss to combine. Set aside while preparing remaining ingredients or refrigerate. Can be made ahead and refrigerated.
Make crispy shallots - heat oil in a small saucepan, when hot add sliced shallots and cook until crispy, 10-30 seconds. Remove to a paper towel.
Make sesame dressing by combining all ingredients together in a bowl. Taste and adjust to your liking. Set aside.
Prepare other ingredients - radish, pea shoots and fish. Place in separate bowls. Prepare fish by cutting against the grain into 1/2 inch strips then again to make 1/2 inch cubes.
Place fish in a bowl with scallion, 1 tablespoon sesame seeds and 2-3 tablespoons of sesame dressing. Toss gently to coat fish.
You are ready to serve make your Tuna Poke Bowls - Divide ingredients among 4 bowls. First the fluffed rice on the bottom, then create your bowl by placing the pea shoots next, adding the fish in the middle and then avocado, cucumbers and radish around the fish as you like. Or for a fun family style dish, place all ingredients on table and let each person create their own bowl. Garnish with crispy shallots and sesame seeds and a drizzle of the dressing.