By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Olive Oil Poached Cod
INGREDIENTS - POACHED COD AND ROASTED CAULIFLOWER
- 1-1/2 pounds true cod filet (or other firm white fish), four 6-oz. portions
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh sage
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into quarters
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
INGREDIENTS - RAISIN CHUTNEY
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 dried chilies
- 6 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 1-1/2 cups golden or regular raisins
For raisin chutney - add all ingredients except the raisins to a small pot and bring to a boil. Add the raisins and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until almost all the liquid is absorbed, about 45 min. This can be prepared in advance and refrigerated. Bring to room temperature before using.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and put on a large stock pot to simmer, filled about half way with water. Drizzle a metal sheet pan with a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Slice the cauliflower heads into quarters. Lay the cauliflower slices on the oiled pan, season with salt, pepper, cayenne and smoked paprika. Turn over the slices and season the other side. Roast the cauliflower until browned and crisp on the edges. Set aside.
Place the portioned fish into a zipper plastic bag. Drizzle the fish with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Add the sage and sliced onion to the bag. Just before serving, lower the bag into the simmering water, the fish will cook gently in about 5 minutes.
Arrange the cauliflower and fish on a plate, spooning the raisin chutney around or over it.