By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Coffee and Ancho Rubbed Beef Short Rib
INGREDIENTS - BEEF SHORT RIB AND POTATOES
- 3 1/2 pounds boneless beef short rib (chuck flat), cut into 3×5 inch portions
- 1 yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch sections
- 2 cups red wine
- Water (to cover)
- 2 pounds creamer size yellow new potatoes or fingerling potatoes
- 3 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
INGREDIENTS - COFFEE ANCHO RUB
- 1/3 cup dark roasted coffee, finely ground
- 1/3 cup ground Ancho chili powder
- 1/3 cup Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
Prepare coffee ancho rub by combining all the ingredients and keeping at room temperature in an airtight container. This rub can be used on any grilled, roasted or braised meat. Generously coat the meat in the coffee Ancho spice rub.
Rinse the potatoes and put them a pot with enough cool water to cover them by about an inch. Add 3 tablespoons of salt, cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and allow the potatoes to simmer until they are tender and drain them. This step can be done a day ahead with the potatoes refrigerated overnight.
Cut the onion into quarters and peel. Peel the carrots and cut into 3-in. pieces. Place the rubbed short ribs into your slow cooker with the onions, carrots, wine and water. The liquid should come up almost over the meat without covering it. Cook the beef at a low temperature until fork tender (6-8 hours).
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and toss in the potatoes, cooking over medium-high heat to crisp and brown them. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the horseradish, minced garlic and chopped parsley.
When the potatoes are hot and browned, put them into the bowl and toss gently. Return them to the skillet. Using a handheld masher, crush the potatoes just slightly to expose the cream interior. Plate the potatoes with the cooked beef, grating lemon zest over the whole dish and sprinkling with coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.