By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Blue Cheese, Caramelized Onion & Mushroom Mac and Cheese
Makes 4-6 Servings
- 16 oz macaroni or other small pasta
- 5 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 4 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
- 2 onions halved and sliced 1/4 inch
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved and sliced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves
- Olive oil
- 2 cups panko or fresh bread crumbs mixed with 1/4 cup olive oil or butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cook pasta and set aside.
In a large cast iron pan heat 2-3 tablespoons olive oil and sauté onions over medium heat until caramelized. Add thyme leaves and cook a bit more. Set aside. Add more olive oil to the pan and sauté mushrooms until they are soft and have released their juices. Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes. Set aside. In the same pan over medium heat add butter and flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Slowly whisk in milk and continue to cook 3-5 minutes until thickened. Turn off heat. Add cheese and mix together. Add the onions, mushrooms and pasta, mix until just combined. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer to a baking dish, cast iron skillet or individual ramekins. Top with bread crumbs and bake 20-30 minutes until browned on top.