By using our site without disabling cookies, you consent to our use of them.
Asian Greens Stir Fry with Crispy Tofu
INGREDIENTS - STIR FRY
- 1 package firm tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 bunch bok choy, thinly sliced (separate stems and leaves)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely minced
- 1 bunch radishes, cleaned and quartered
- 6 scallions, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ - 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup mint and cilantro to garnish
- avocado, grape seed or other neutral oil
- 4 cups cooked white or brown rice
INGREDIENTS - SESAME CRUNCH
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pinch of chili flakes or cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
Toss sesame crunch ingredients together in a bowl then place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a spatula, press seeds to make a thin layer around 1/8 inch thick. Bake at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool while making stir fry. Once cool, break into small pieces.
It is important to drain and press the tofu with a towel to dry. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of neutral oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Toss the tofu with cornstarch and fry in the hot oil until crispy and browned on both sides - about 7-10 minutes. Transfer to a plate with paper towel and set aside.
In the same skillet, pour out excess oil with 1 tablespoon remaining; add garlic, shallots, ginger, and mushrooms, cook for 3-5 minutes over medium heat or until soft. Whisk together maple syrup and soy sauce in a small bowl and add to the skillet with the butter. Next add bok choy stems, radishes and scallions. Cook another 3-5 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add the bok choy leaves and tofu. Cook 1-2 more minutes - taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Serve stir fry over rice and top with sesame crunch.